Sunday, March 27, 2011

EVELYN BEALL.

      This is stories that I have heard about Miss Evelyn. The first time I met her, she was Mrs. Mary Evelyn Dudley and worked at the Krystal in West Rome. I called her Mary Evelyn for a long time. She made the best donuts that I ever tasted. My favorite were the maple ones. We would go out on Sunday morning before church and eat breakfast. Little did I know that my dad had been checking her out as a possible date. He knew her father, Mack Johnston, and he was the one to suggest the meeting. Later on down the road, they would marry and my dad became the "love of her life." This became the yours, mine, and ours family of Rome, Georgia. Each had lost a life mate in an automobile accident so GOD put these two people together and they became one and raised 9 children. IMAGINE that today. They made it work and work it did and these children are productive citizens in their respective communities.
     On September 8, 1964 she married my dad and became my mom but the amazing point is that I was already married and expecting my first child. On February 22, 1965 I went to the hospital to give birth. Even though she was expecting her fifth child, she came to the hospital and sat all day with me before Jimmy's birth at 4:29 pm. How many step-moms would do that. She told me once that my dad had given me to her the day they married and no matter what, that would never change. She was my friend and helped me in many ways. She was always there for me in any situation. She was a devoted person to her husband, children, and family until the day she went home.
     At one point in time, Evelyn needed a birth certificate. So her brother made a trip to Alabama to get it for her. He came back with some interesting facts. #1 her name was found out to be MARY EVA LYNN JOHNSTON. Well since this area was known for alot of bootleg whiskey or moonshine, the observation is that on the day Evelyn was born, her dad and the Dr. might have been on the porch on a hot summer day in August to take a nip or 2 or 3. This means writing down the wrong name. #2 the year she was born. Don't know if the correct year is 1934 or 1935 so take your pick. Either way she was one courageous lady with poise and dignity and plenty of character to have accomplished all these achievements in her life. I am proud to call her MOM. Good bye for now, Evelyn, but I will see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment