Thursday, May 19, 2011

HOUSE FIRE

     When I left work that morning, the first frost of the season had fallen. As I turned on the wipers, a little layer of ice gathered along the blades. Beautiful autumn colors were breaking through the mist as I rode home. Blazing reds, lemon yellows, burnt orange and golden browns were among the many trees and bushes as I pressed to get home and get a good sleep. It was Friday, the 13th of November in 1992 and I had worked all night. I was looking forward to a good week-end. Was hoping that Christy had worn her new coat to school that morning because of the frost. She was in kindergarten and Adam would be starting next year. I arrived home and hurried to get in the house as the wind had started to blow briskly.
     Marvin was ready to leave and Adam was asleep in my bed. Jeff would be working with his dad today. His girl friend, Terry, was asleep with her son, Jeremy. I took a quick shower and climbed into bed. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep long after Adam woke up. Suddenly I was awaken with a loud blast that sounded like a siren. I thought it was Adam and I told him to just sit down in the kitchen while I dressed and we would fix breakfast. As I turned to put my feet on the floor, Adam was asleep beside me and I jumped up to check out the noise. When I opened my bedroom door, flames jumped up in the kitchen. The sound was the fire alarms. I started shouting, "The house is on fire, Terry, the house is on fire." I turned and went back in my bedroom to get Adam. I don't remember anything but dropping him out the back door. When I stepped on the top step, it came to me that I couldn't go to a phone because my pocketbook was sitting beside the bed with my car keys inside. Like a crazy person, I turned and went back into the bedroom and grabbed my purse and ran to the door. When I stepped to the top step this time, a large flame of fire singed my hair so I slammed the door still hollering for Terry to go out the front. When I got in the car, started it and turned on the heater, Terry was already in the yard. I told her to go in the church while I went to the neighbors to call the fire department.
     My neighbor, Irene Bramblett, lived just a little way from me and she was up drinking coffee. As I dialed the number, I realized that I didn't have on shoes and my feet were freezing. All I was wearing was my gown. My coat and everything I owned was in the house. When I pulled back in the yard, flames were jumping over the top. I knew that nothing could be salvaged. The neighbor (Billy Brown) across the street had gone hunting that morning with my cousin, Mitchell Greeson, and he called Marvin and told him about the fire.
Now I am a rather large woman so I didn't know anyone to call about clothes and I couldn't go to the store in my gown. Mitchel had given me some money and told me I better get some clothes. About this time, my mother-in-law, Ruby Dean pulled up and told me not to worry. She would get me some clothes. To this day, I don't know where they came from. Not only did we lose all our belongings but the Christmas in my closet for Christy and Adam. The neighborhood churches and many neighbors and friends were so kind to us and Tolbert school replaced the Christmas presents.. The outpouring of love in our community was unfathomable. God took a tragedy and turned it into a blessing. I am thankful to all the friends and neighbors who helped us in our hour of need. I will never forget all the many gifts of love for my family.
After the fire department finished their investigation, it was determined that bad wiring in the deep freeze had caused the fire. I was so lucky that the alarm woke me and we could get to safety.
Fires still scares me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment