Friday, September 30, 2011

BEALL FAMILY HISTORY-AUGUSTUS C. BEALL AND THOMAS F. BEALL

I recently read an article about the Beall's from Texas and thought I would add to my blog. My dad told my that he had relatives that moved to Texas because his dad wrote letters to them. I never found any of the paper work of my granddad's as I think it went to my step-mom's family. Any way, I never saw any of this, just a few pictures. The following is about Augustus Chandler Beall and his second son, Thomas Frederick Beall. Thomas would have been my granddad's first cousin. The story was written by his granddaughter, Gladys Viola Anderson.


BEALL HISTORY part 1
from a great granddaughter of Augustus Chandler Beall

this is typed exactly as it is handwritten
For the love I have for my ancestors and the knowledge I have that we are to be one grand family in the here after.
I write a story of my beloved Grandfather, Thomas Frederick Beall was born 24 May 1848 in Rusk Co Texas. He was the second son of Augustus C. Beall and Charlotte Elizabeth Coltharp. Augustus C was born 20 Jan 1819, he was the son of (Gen.) William O. Beall and Nancy Farmer Chandler, they were from Franklin Co. Ga.
Charlotte Elizabeth Coltharp was born 26 Oct 1830, she was the daughter of James Coltharp and Joanna McSpadden. James Coltharp was born 21st Aug 1809. Joanna McSpadden was born 16 Aug 1801.
My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother Augustus C. Beall and Charlotte Elizabeth Coltharp were married 24 of June 1845, Leak Co Miss. on Pearl River. They had the following children, William Wallace Beall(1846-1848), Thomas Frederic Beall(1848-1936), James Egbert "Eck". Beall(1851-1905),Joseph Chandler Beall(1853-1930) Nancy Joanna Beall(1857-1923), Jefferson Davis Beall(1861-1949), Emma Amelia Beall(1864-1881), John Arthur Beall(1867, Noble Bruce Beall(1870-1895), Martha Sophronia Beall(1875-1875). Walter Green Beall

Here is a little history of the Beall name, Augustus C. Beall ancestor's paternal Father (Gen.) William Beall, Grandfather (Gen) Frederick Beall; Great grandfather Thaddeus Beall. Thaddeus married his cousin Jane a sister of Daniel Beall. (Gen) Frederic Beall, married his cousin Martha Peyton Beall daughter of Daniel, her mother a Miss Martha Peyton.
The Beall family came South from the District of Columbia some years after the independence of the Colonies was established.
In Maryland, Kentucky and parts of Texas the name has usually been pronounced with the (long e) as Beals, but in Georgia and Miss. and east Texas it has been pronounced as it spelled Bell that is with the "a" silent.
This information about the Beall name was given to the family by John B. Beall.

BEALL HISTORY part 2
My Grand Father Thomas Frederick was born of Christian parents in a home filled with love. Most of the Beall family belonged to the Missionary Baptist Church.
To show the love they had for each other and the belief of God, here is a quotation from a letter written from Irvinton GA 3rd Feb 1848, written to my great grandfather Augustus C. Beall by his Bro. Thomas N. Beall. quote,
"Dear Augustus I hope if we shall never see each other this side of the grave for the finally faithful, I feel determined to try to live so as to get there. I hope to see my brothers and sisters, father & mother and all relatives in that bright world although we are scattered from Maine to Texas. If we live right before God, we shall finally all meet where the weary are at rest.
I remain your affection Bro Thomas N Beall "unquote"
Grandfather Thomas Frederick boyhood days were like most of the boys of that day. He came from a line of fine people, most of them were well fixed but not wealthy. Grandfather had a fair education, he loved books.
The years past on Grandfather at the age of 22 fell in love with a beautiful girl. Her name Margaret Missouri Cantrell. They were married 22 Dec 1870 Van Zandt Co Texas. Margaret was the fifth child of Zion and Eliza (Smith) Cantrell.
Margaret Missouri was born 20 Jan 1850 in Carrolton Ga and came to Texas when 4 years old.
The Bealls were a family who stood pioneer life with fine physique. Grandfather was a farmer which he enjoyed. He and his good wife were pioneers of West Texas. Ever year they would go further west, we know they had a hard time as all pioneers do. They raised a lovely family of ten children. Beaulah Morris, Otho Leslie, Nora Romeio, Adah Arthur, Florence Ila, Erin Mason, Walter Warren, Orin Homer, James Haile, Ollie May, and Addie Pearl Beall. Now if you are noticing that there are 11 children listed, Adah Arthur did not live to adulthood. She was killed. It is explained later in this story.


BEALL HISTORY part 3
My Mother Beaulah Morris Beall being the oldest child she remembered what pioneer life was like, My Mother told about the sad accident of her baby sister Adah Arthur being killed 13 July 1878 by a log rolling on her. Grandfather was hauling logs to make a home, they caught  little Adah pinning her beneath it. Grandfather had gone after more logs, when the the accident happened. Grandma and my mother had to get her out with the help of the other little children.
Time marches on it is now May 1891 - Grandfather and Grandmother have arrived at Lockney, Floyd Co Texas. A vast prairie country to establish them another home. It was a new country no towns. There were a few pioneers coming in from other places. Among them was Thomas Franklin Anderson & family.
The Bealls and Anderson's settled close together, you can imagine what happened with young people in both families.
It was on a summer day the 10th  of Aug 1892, that two lovers were joined in matrimony. Beaulah Morris Beall was married to John Killis Anderson. He was the son of Thomas Franklin Anderson and Margaret Elizabeth Hunter. Time marches on Mother & Dad had five children as follows. Thomas Franklin or sometimes called T. F., O. J. or Olen Jay, Bertie May, Gladys Viola, Lora Winona Anderson.
I knew my Grand father in his elder years, about the first I can remember of him we were living at Floyd, New Mexico. Grandfather & Grandmother came to see us. Aunt Pearl was teaching school in Trinidad, Colorado. They had been to see her and they came by our place on their way home. As they were leaving Grandfather gave Bertie and I enough money to get us a new dress. I can remember the cloth was pink with a little white strip in it, we called it our Grandpa dress.



BEALL HISTORY part 4
As I grew older I remember him as being about 5 ft 8 inch tall, weight 155 lb. Grandfather always had a good garden, flowers and fruit trees. _______________ Grandfathers & Grandma's and eat potatoes, gravy and beet pickles, oh boy how good.
Mother said Grandpa use to sing when you and I were young Maggie to Grandma as if it was composed for them.
I never lived around my Grandparents very much, as we lived in New Mexico, most of the time. As time marches on Father came to Arizona in April 1918. Father and Mother only stayed in Arizona three years. They went back to Lockney, Texas to be near grandfather and grandmother in their old age.
As time goes on we find it is 9 Oct 1935, we, that is my husband and children & I went to see Father & Mother and grandfather & grandmother. This was the last time I saw my grandparents, as each one was getting very feeble.
Grandfather passed away. 10 Jan 1936, being almost 86 years old.
Grandmother passed away 8 May 1937, she being 87 years old, both buried in Irick Cemetery in Lockney Texas. They lived to see their 10 children grow old.
Grandfather & Grandmother raised a grand daughter, her name Ina Lenora Beall. Ina Lenora is the daughter of Otho Leslie and Lelia Irene (Barnes) Beall
Ina Lenora Beall
Gladys Viola Anderson Pearce
33 N. Hibbert,
Mesa, Arizona
was born 6 Nov 1897 Floyd, Floyd Co Texas.
Ina married Clarence R. Cockerham 27 Sept 1914
Ina's mother, Lelia Irene Beall died 6 Dec 1897
Grandfather & Grand Mother had a host of grand children.

Written 8 Dec 1945, by a grand daughter

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog when I did a "google" on Ninian Beall. I found the link between us is your Frederick was brother to my g-g-g-grandfather, Samuel (grandon to Thaddeus). Although Ninian is not a direct ancestor, his story is most intriguing.

    ReplyDelete