Monday, December 12, 2011

"ETERNAL FLOWER" in memory of Nancy Caldwell.

     I met a lady in Resaca back in the 70's named Nancy Caldwell. She moved next door to my mother-in-law, Ruby Dean, after the death of her husband. She was such a good person, lending me books to read and cooking extra and sending it to my house. I remember her cooking a fresh coconut cake that was my favorite. I asked her why she gave it away and her excuse was that she was diabetic and could only have one slice. " If I keep this cake, I will eat more than I should." was the reply that she gave me. She was forever giving me cutting from flowers or bringing me bouquets for the house. Her favorites were roses. I still have a smoke bush growing in my yard that came from her. And iris, just about every color of iris that I have, came from her yard in Resaca. She never met a stranger and never talked bad about anyone. Once, on the day that Grannie Ruby's father died in March of 1977, she cooked a complete meal and took it to the home for the family as they were grieving. Fried chicken, green beans, potato salad, cornbread, slaw, turnip greens, and even a chocolate cake and an egg custard, I will never forget all the food. It must have taken her just about all day. You just don't forget people like that who have not a jealous bone in their bodies.  So in memory of Mrs. Caldwell, I wrote a poem for her. I think in some way that she will see this poem where she has gone and know that she is loved. People like her never get their names in the paper or get book written about them. You wont read about her in the history book or in National Geographic but she will forever remain in my heart.

                                     ETERNAL FLOWER
           (in memory of Nancy Caldwell   July, 1996)

I lost a friend the other day
and such joy she brought to me;
just a simple home-made cake
or a cutting from her tree.

She never worried what people said
and went her merry way,
but yet her presence can still be felt
on a warm summer day.

I can see her still in a flower bed
wher jonquils and marigolds bloom,
but the flowers that she is tending now
will outshine the sun and moon.

And now as I sit on my window sill
while the earth takes its morning shower;
a window in Heaven opens for me
and I see her---an Eternal Flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment