Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A MEMORIAL FOR THOMAS GUY BEALL

     As I sat and read all the comments for Tommy this morning, I though about how much a part of this family that he was. With mom and dad gone, it just fell into  place to call on Tommy. It is like he was a link to our parents. We didn't depend on him so much for support but just to be our sounding board. What about this and what about that just to keep in touch.. We all promised Evelyn (Mom) that we would take care of him but I think he took care of us. In the past 145 days, we have learned so much about what kind of person he was and is and continues to be as we face saying goodbye. The love that he showed everyone that he met was instilled in him by our parents. I have never seen a family that sticks together like we do. If we ever need an ear to listen or a ride or even just a hug, we have it in our family.      And his music will go on forever. Every time I hear the Lord's Prayer, I will think of him. "I'll Fly Away" has a new meaning.   
     When I read his testimony, I knew that he had a part in so many lives in every walk of life. As a teacher, pupil, mentor, friend, family-you could never have a better person that Thomas Guy Beall. What a legacy-with his faithful friend and companion "Carter". I love you Tommy and I will so miss you.So now we say "Goodnight Tommy, I'll meet you in the morning."      

HOW WE ALL SOMETIMES FORGET WHAT IS IMPORTANT

      While 2011 had some great moments in it, I find it to be one of the most difficult years in my life. In March, my mother lost her battle with cancer. While my family rallied together those last nine weeks of her life, I still find myself feeling out of place at times. 

     The question I ask myself is "What is my purpose in life"? Sometimes I just don't know the answer to that question. I have the greatest friends that people can ask for. I have the greatest family that anyone would ever want. So what is my purpose?

      The only thing I can think of is to ask God to guide me. I have been a Christian for a long time now. I can remember the day that my Pastor, brother Benny Garner gave the invitation to come and ask God to forgive me of my sins. I stepped out immediately and made my way down the aisle. Benny met me with a smile and we prayed together. From that day forward, I knew my life was forever changed. I was Baptized shortly after that.

     God touched my heart that day and I have never let him out of my heart. I was in the 10th grade at the time and even though I was young, I knew that I would spend my eternity in heaven.

     I want to thank Ken Pence for ministering to me. He is the reason God has blessed me with his grace. He shared his testimony to me that Sunday before in Sunday school and he led me to be saved.

    I am not one of those people who can share their feelings. I do not like feeling weak and insecure about things. Like I said, God has blessed me with a wonderful family, the best friends, and a talent that let's me share my love of music. 

     I have been a musician for over 36 years now. God has given me the opportunity to share with thousands of people throughout my life. Some through my life as just a band member, some as soloist. I have had the honor of playing at weddings, funerals, Christmas and Easter Celebrations, community events, Patriotic Celebrations, and last but not least, memorial events.

     Three years ago, I was performing with the 8th Regiment Band in Gettysburg, PA. We were performing at the steps of the Pennsylvania monument. I was at the end of our concert and the sun was just about to go beyond the treeline. Now our concerts are usually very emotional. We like to let people feel the emotions of the period. That is what makes the 8th so special. Our concerts close with three songs that depic the emotions and feelings of what we have thought is the greatest "Epic" of American history.

     We honor all of those men who died in this battle by playing "Eternal Father", "Strong to Save", (The Navy Hymn), "Nearer My God to Thee", and "The Lord's Prayer". I am the soloist for the The Lord's Prayer. 

     After we finished playing and began to pack up, this woman came up to me and thanked me for providing such beautiful music. I humbly responded with gratitude but she also told me she had not been right with God for a long time. Now I didn't need to know why but then what she told me made me smile and thank God for blessing me with the gift of music. She began to cry while holding my hand and she told me that while I was playing The Lord's Prayer, she began praying for the first time in many years. In that prayer, she ask God to forgive her for her sins.

     As I stood there with her, I smiled and told her God was good and that he loved her. As she walked away, I sat down on the bench and thought about what had just happened. I thought about my question of what my purpose in life was. I thought about how wonderful God can be and how sometimes even a small gesture can mean so much.

     I want to thank my family for loving me the way they do. I want my friends to know that I cherish our friendship and even though we don't see or talk to one another all the time, I think of them. You have all touched my life in one way or another. To my brothers and sisters in Christ, thank you for all the blessings that you have given me. You have truly made my life complete. Lastly, to my mom and dad, I miss you oh so much. Thank you for believing in me and raising me to be the person I am today. I will see you again.

Love, Thomas Guy Beall.


.So many people knew Thomas Guy Beall. Whether it was from high school, JSU, work, Church, or just being family. He was well liked & loved by many. 
I knew him from working with him at Walmart. He loved his job there in the vision center. He loved it even more during the holidays. He would bring his trumpet to work with him. Thru out the day he would walk the entire store playing Christmas music. Then at times he would have his music stand & sheets of music there in front of the vision center. Sitting all relaxed & letting the customers & coworkers enjoy the music. He played his heart out every time his touched that trumpet. I don't think he realized how much we did enjoy listening to him. He will forever be missed. His personality alone was amazing. He never met stranger. His smile was very Contagious. He fought a long tough battle these past 145 days. He gave it his all. As like he did playing that trumpet. He never gave no less in his musical career & work. Ours prayers go out to his family,friends & his current coworkers. We'll see you later Tommy as we will meet again. Until then play that trumpet there in Heaven. Rejoice with your family already there. Look upon your loved ones here on earth. Give them signs that you are good. Give them signs that will get them through each day. To his family I encourage you all to talk about Tommy every day. Keep his spirit & memories alive. He may be gone from your presence. But he will always remain in your Heart.
Christy Lewis

     What else is there to say? How does a man I met as a freshman in high school become such a friend? Thomas Guy Beall was one of those guys that just pulled you in. He was such a joy to be around.
His love of music was just as contagious. He was excited about it and he got you excited about it! I was one of very few that had privilege of being one of his students, and the even greater privilege of being one of his drum majors. For this I am most proud.
Although my talent was never great, my love of music was! He nurtured that everyday I was around him. We loved to hear all the great "Southern" stories, and the exploits of he and little brother "Bill".
He loved those who helped him grow as a person and a musician. He loved his family and they loved him. Then of course Dr. Walters. He always made sure if Dr. Walters was around we got to speak to him. He treasured the relationship they maintained over all these years.
He was proud to have over the years to continue to be around his extremely extended "Southern" family. There is probably not a generation of "Southerners" since he graduated that didn't know him. He was always there at the alumni days playing with the band. That made him so happy to share his joy of music with a new crowd, and for those who never heard him play live you missed a treat! (But in this crowd that is few if any.)
Now, back to the original thought. In the brief thoughts above I think I answered that question. It was "LOVE". That's how's he became such a friend. His love showed in everything he did.
Now our friend Tommy rests in the love of our Heavenly Father. Free from pain and suffering, and he would want that for you. He would want you do not know the love of our Savior.
Today he is worshipping the Father as best as he can, likely trumpet in hand! And the angels are probably and proudly shouting "Blow Tommy" and "Blow Southerners"!
CHAD SLATON

As I'm sitting here in the pick up line at school.. I'm praying for the friends and family of a beautiful,talented amazing man who is gone too soon. I had the pleasure of meeting Thomas Guy Beall my senior year in high school. He was the trumpet line instructor for band camp that year.
I remember him as an extremely talented person with an incredible personality and a heart of gold. I also attended JSU and had the privilege of hearing him perform with the Southerners.. After losing touch, we reconnected with FB.
We were never really close but I have such an appreciation of him. Music was his life.. He touched so many with it. 
Tommy you will be missed.
Rest in peace my friend. Kristi Hamilton Lindaman


1 comment:

  1. NZ Dress
    2015 free shipping new zealand fashion style for cheap wedding dresses, wedding party dresses,
    special occasion dresses with high quality Professional and reliable, Nzdress co nz is your best choice!
    ball dresses nz,ball dresses
    prom dresses nz,prom dresses
    bridesmaid dresses nz,bridesmaid dresses

    ReplyDelete