Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dr. J. Edwin Orr

As I was reading my Bible this morning, I came across a verse in Psalms 139: 23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." It stuck in my mind as I had sung this song many times at church in my youth. Sometimes a song just does not leave your memory. Years later, when I was taking piano lessons, I found this song in the piano music course of Henry Slaughter. This course was teaching augmented and diminished cords. So as anyone who knows me, I decided to search out about the man who wrote the words. I love all biographies, and since my grandfather and all his brothers wrote gospel music, the first website I visited contained a great deal about Dr. Orr. It was easier than I thought, as he had a lifetime of Christian leadership. Though out his life, he had led revivals in just about every country of the world. What an accomplishment and testimony to our GOD. He has a website and you can order many of his sermons and books. www.jedwinorr.com. The following are from various websites.

James Edwin Orr. He was born January 12, 1912 in Belfast, Ireland. He died April 22, 1987m in Ridgecrest, North Carolina. Orr was ordained an American Baptist minister in 1940, attended Northwestern University (MA-1941) and Northern Baptist Seminary (ThD-1943), and served as a chaplain in the U.S. Air Force in the Pacific in World War II. After the war, he continued his schooling, attending Oxford University (PhD-1948) and the University of California at Los Angeles (EdD-1971); he also received honorary degrees from an Indian seminary, Pasadena, California. He wrote at least six hymns including "Cleanse Me."
The words were written at a revival meeting in Ngarunwahis, New Zealand, taking less than five minutes to put them down on paper. This is a "MAORI" tune adapted by John T. Benson Jr.

"Search me, O God,
and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior,
Know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be
Some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin
And set me free."

I have included the first verse, but it can be found in many hymnals for various churches. Besides his writing, teaching, and preaching, Dr. Orr had great impact on evangelicals around the world through his friendship with other leading Christians. He was an advisor of Billy Graham's from the start of that evangelist's career.
Orr passed on to Glory on a preaching trip in 1987.

Below is a dedication for Dr. Orr's book "Full Surrender" by Billy Graham
"Dr. J. Edwin Orr, in my opinion, is on of the greatest authorities on the history of religious revivals in the Protestant world. I think that God has given him one of the greatest and most unique ministries anywhere in the nation...I know of no man who has a greater passion for worldwide revival or a greater love for the souls of men."

From F.F.Bruce, from the introduction to "Light of the Nations" by Dr. Orr
"Some men read history, some write it, and others make it. So far as the history of religious revivals is concerned, J Edwin Orr belongs to all three categories."


Ref:
www.believersweb.org.
www.cyberhymnal.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment