Saturday, July 2, 2011

FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS

                                                                 Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:47:41 AM

      II Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me. In faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. (King James version.)
        -A devotional that I read has it worded a little different-
 "What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching with faith and love in Christ Jesus." New Version
As I was reading this, I was transported back in time to a place that wasn't fun for me. Freshman class in high school, my mom had died and my depression was taking it's toil with me and school work. I am referring mainly to Mrs. Wyrick's Home Economics I. I thought I wanted to learn to sew. Just couldn't follow all the directions. Made many mistakes and in the end, I failed this class. A rule in our school was if you failed, you would have to make it up before your senior year. Failed the entire freshman class, so it was a "do over." When I finally reached my sophomore year, I thought it might be time to repeat this class. What a big difference my maturity had taken me in following directions. Passed this class with a breeze and went on to number II. I had advanced in my sewing so I made a garment that I could wear to school. At our fashion show that year, I received great reviews from my fellow students and well as the teachers. It wasn't any thing fancy, just a skirt and vest with a matching blouse. I had used a material with all the fall colors, bright orange with many shades of rust, red and brown. Light and dark gold, and stripes of amber and yellow, so I looked like a walking rainbow except for the blue. I followed every little detail of the pattern and instructions from my teacher. I made an A+ and at my age of 67, I still remember the feeling when my dad saw the project. I had been after him to buy me a sewing machine to use at home instead of traveling to Aunt Josie's house everyday just to sew on her machine. Now he told me the reason I had not received this gift from him. He wasn't sure that I would keep up with this endeavor. I had not followed through on many things that I just knew that I could do. Wasn't old enough or mature enough to have a staying power. So after this, he went to Sears and bought a little Singer portable. It had all the major attachments and I used it for many years making all my clothes. I continued to make clothes for my children and even learned to make quilts on a machine. God knew I could do this but I wasn't ready to persevere. Funny how GOD teaches his children just like our parents teach and help us grow to be the people they wants us to be. My dad was a wonderful person and he helped me even tho I gave him a lot of heartache through my teenage years.
Every time I pick up a pattern now, I remember those classed and how many projects I have made over the years. One is a cloth doll dressed in Christmas clothes that sits under my Christmas tree. Every year, it reminds me of learning by following all the instruchions from our parents and GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment