Thursday, August 18, 2011

MY PAINTED ROCK

      As I read my devotional this morning pertaining to a verse from Joshua, it brought to mind a story I had read in Guideposts. It told about a man who painted rocks with scriptures on them and sold them in a gift shop. A few years ago, I was into painting. Shirts, plates, cups, sticks and rocks, I painted anything that came to my mind. After reading the article, I decided that I would paint a rock with a verse of scripture. So here is what happened.
      I preceded to travel to a creek in Sugar Valley where I knew that I could get some rocks for this purpose. I had been to this creek many times, as it was on the property of my friend, Clarence Ghorley. We used it often for baptizing. You just had to keep an eye out for snakes. I should know this as it is called Snake Creek Gap. Many rattlers have been killed at this location. I think one year, Clarence said that he had killed about 23 of different sizes.
      Well it took a while to find the right one while I kept an eye out for snakes. I am deathly afraid of these particular varmints. We killed one in my home once but that is another story for me to tell. There were plenty of big rocks but not flat rocks in just the right shape that I wanted it to be.. After finding my rock, I came home and washed the rock to remove all the mud and debree. I waited until the next day for the painting because I wanted to get gold paint for this rock. I have always thought of gold as being a royal color. Then I decided to put two coats on the rock in case of scratches and each coat had to be thoroughly dry. When I got to the painting of the scripture, it didn't turn out like I wanted it to, so what I got was a mish-mash of printing big and little letters. Then I had a nudge from the Lord. "Why are you trying to made it perfect?" What an eye opener. Nothing is perfect in this world except GOD. So my messed up rock is on the front porch by the door with these words. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
      I want all people who come to my door to know that we are Christians. I hope we show it in word as well as deed and with a little humor to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment