Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"PEGGY'S HOUSE"

       As I was reading Facebook the other day. I came across a Blog that interested me about an establishment in Rome in my youth. "Peggy's."  It brought to mind a episode of when I was about 15 years old. My mom had a beauty shop in North Rome and had quite a bit of clientele. One particular person was a young woman who came every week to have her hair done for the week-end. Once a month, she would have a touch-up of her roots. Her hair was a gorgeous color of platinum blond. Over time, her name has slipped my mind, but her order of lunch still remains with me as I was the one to walk to the Drug Store soda shop to bring it back. Always the same, grilled cheese sandwich with dill pickle slices, potato chips and a fountain coke with extra ice. She would give me a $10 bill and when I returned, she would let me keep the change. I had spending money all summer. Over a few weeks, I learned that she was an employee of "Peggy's." She had a boyfriend who used her for money as he didn't work. I won't reveal his name as I attended school with his brother and sister. He told me this when he found out that I went to East Rome. Sometimes he would bring her to the shop but mostly she rode in a cab. Then he would come by to get money. He would be going to a bootlegger in East Rome to get white whiskey. He would bring her back a drink and keep the change.  Sometimes, he would buy two bottles, bring her one and keep the other. This was a lot for a 15-year-old to comprehend. I couldn't even tell anyone about this or my mom would lose her patronage. And her tips were great. Sometimes, she would even have her nails done. My mom had learned this at Beauty School as well as facials. It was an all round shop.
     Now I knew where "Peggy's" was located as just about every other person in Rome. Across the street from the fairgrounds. Most anytime that I would drive by, your could see the location. I would take East First Street up to 5 points and turn across what is now MLK Blvd to get to Kingston Hwy going to my aunt's house. In the day time, the parking lot would be empty but at night, it was full.  Sometimes I would even  recognize a few cars. That would be my secret. The only way to keep a secret, is if I don't tell.  Two people will not keep a secret. At the end of the summer, my mom was killed in an automobile accident and I went to live with my dad. I never saw her again but I remember that flowers were sent to the funeral and I recognized the name's. I only hope that a thank you card was sent to them in their remembrance of my mom. Later in my life, I wondered what would make a young girl like her turn to that old profession. So poor to need the money, or abused as a child, or maybe she was homeless. We don't know what her situation was and why she was in that location. "Walk a mile in my shoes." Except for a loving family, I could have been homeless. Always be open to people and not judge them until you know all the circumstances and situations. There is an old saying, "There but for the Grace of GOD go I." So often we are quick to judge. My dad always said to clean off your own back porch before you start to clean someone else's.           
     The following story is from the blog called "Peggy's."  The initials at the end of the story are MWH. All credit goes the that person for all her work in searching out this story.
http://peggyshouse.blogspot.com/


       I am attempting to write a book about a curious yet elusive woman in a small north Georgia town who managed to run a successful up-scale house of prostitution for over thirty years. Peggy Stone Sneed was an uneducated country girl from an area called the 'Prospect Community' near Centre, Alabama. She came to Rome, Georgia as a young woman to work in the Celanese Mill by day, and began moonlighting in a local 'house' by night. It was said that she was exceptionally beautiful and many of the men at the plant tried to get close to her with no success whatsoever. It wasn't until one of them discovered her at her night job that it was understood why, so those who's hopes had been dashed time and again, found that there was another way to get to know her.

Over time, she supposedly earned enough money to start her own business and she left the plant to open up her own house. It was said that her business sense was remarkable. She ran a tight ship and her girls had frequent medical attention and were 'guaranteed safe'. On one rare occasion when a client did come down with an embarrassing 'condition', Peggy made good on her word by covering all of his medical costs.

Local business, such as dress store owners, grocers, and pharmacists catered to the cash paying Madam by bringing goods to her house for purchase. She kept a side business during prohibition of selling beer and Cuban rum - all without consequences. It was said that hers was a clearing house for girls from Cuba and the west coast so her house was constantly full of fresh faces. She also had a suspicious amount of property in the Virgin Islands as well as in Floyd County.

Most remarkable of all is that Peggy's was well known nationally and internationally and received no opposition from the local Police, local businesses or even the local women. Everyone looked the other way and accepted the house as a part of the community - peacefully. This is a phenomenon that has not occurred before or since. My question is why? What made Peggy different? From her signature pink clothing and hair to her signature pink French poodle, she stood out and hasn't been forgotten these long years.

I have been collecting all sorts of amusing stories about this woman and her house and I am posting here to collect more. Everything you read here is pure here say, I admit it! I have a great start but there are just as many new questions being raised as there are answers. If you have any sort of anecdote about her or the house, please post them. I even take second and third hand stories...and your name won't be used.  From the blog, Peggy's in North Rome.
http://peggyshouse.blogspot.com/



 

2 comments:

  1. I have later found out that her maiden name was Lola Alvis Stone from Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it true that Marjorie Taylor Greene used to work at Peggy's?

    ReplyDelete