Saturday, January 15, 2011

Screaming Panthers

Cougars, panthers. or mountain lions are awesome animals. They use to live as far south as the tip of Florida to the west in California, And from the bottom of South America to Canada being called Pumas, North American Cougars, Mt. Lions and even Catamounts. It has the largest habitat of all the feline species.
But one particular cat used to live in the woods behind our home in Resaca, GA. It has a strange scream in that it sounds like a woman in danger. I was told this by my father-in-law but I just didn't believe it. One night as I lay in bed, I heard a strange sound, so I got up to investigate. Now I was nosey so I went to the front to peep out. At this particular time, the stretch of road where we lived was deserted as no houses were there for about 2 miles. It was a dirt road and my closest neighbor was at that location. All of a sudden, out of the clear blue, I heard a scream like I had never heard before and I ran back to the bed to wake my husband. He raised the window just a little and he could hear this sound. It continued two more times. I had heard that my neighbor's husband was home from service and I and my imagination just knew that they were fighting. I actually thought he was killing her. I did not sleep a wink because I just knew an ambulance would pass at any time to pick up her body and the police to arrest him. By the time it was daylight, I couldn't wait any longer. I got dressed, went out the door and got in the car to investigate. I was just a little leary about knocking on the door and finally got the courage to step up on the porch. When she came to the door, the first thing out of my mouth was. "Are you alright?" Well she said, "Of course, why wouldn't I be?" " I thought you were dead." I said. "That's funny, because I thought you were." "Well it wasn't me," I said. About this time, her husband walked in the door. He had been to town and he just started to laugh at us. "Didn't you know we have a panther in the back woods. And it screams just like a woman. Ha Ha." Boy,!! we never did live that down. Even my children got in on that joke. Never underestimate to power of your imagination. It will get you in trouble every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment