Wednesday, January 19, 2011

PILLS AND THE OLD FOLKS

I received an e-mail today from a good friend  that contained a poem that described me to a tee. Instead of a normal breakfast, I have to fill up with pills. I have 2 for high blood pressure, 2 for diabetes, 1 is a fluid pill and another is potassium that your body loses with the fluid pill. I take an 80 milligram aspirin every day plus 66 units of insulin twice a day. I have a pill to take for allergies because if I don't, I develop laryngitis.  I then take prevastatin at bed time for high cholestoral. After all this, then maybe I can have some coffee if I'm lucky. What happened to my bacon and eggs. Lets have sausage and gravy or maybe some waffles. Plus some good old grits with cheese. Unfortunately for me, that is no longer an option. I have to have low calorie diets with no sugar. Had to opt out of all the good stuff well except for maybe once every 2 weeks. Caffeine free diet cokes, sugar free tea, sweeten with Splenda, and all kind of stuff that is probably worse for my body than every day food. I have started to eat more fruit and green leafy vegetables. I have to eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. And whole wheat bread, lots of whole wheat bread or rolls. Sometimes I get rye bread but I like pumpernickle the best. No more corn-who can live without corn. This includes creamed corn, corn on the cob, cornmeal, cornflakes, corn syrup, grits, and anything else that contains corn including corn oil. Now it is olive oil and no butter or margarine. Butter substitutes like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or Promise. How did people get by without this stuff 30 or 40 years ago. Maybe it was because they raised their own food with no preservatives. Everything that they ate with a few exceptions was raised on their farm. What they couldn't raise, they bartered or swapped some item for what they needed.
Oh well life goes on and on and on............

A row of bottles on my shelf, Caused me to analyze myself
One yellow pill I have to pop. Goes to my heart so it won't stop.
A little white one that I take. Goes to my hands so they won't shake.
The blue ones that I use a lot. Tell me I'm happy when I'm not.
The purple pill goes to my brain. And tells me that I have no pain.
The capsules tell me not to wheeze. Or cough or choke or even sneeze..
The red ones, smallest of them all, Go to my blood so I won't fall.
The orange ones, very big and bright. Prevent my leg cramps in the night.
Everyday I have to cringe as I take the insulin in my syringe
Such an array of brilliant pills. Helping to cure all kinds of ills.
But what I'd really like to know....Is what tells each one where to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment