Sunday, January 30, 2011

THE LETTER

I have been doing ancestry for quite a number of years and recently came in contact with a distant cousin named MaryAnn and she had a world of information on the Bealls including a letter dated February 28, 1881. She has a copy of some of the ledger from the store of her ggggrandfather, Thomas Newton Beall, in Irwinton, GA. It was the "Beall Trading Post" and a pre commodity store to the Civil War. I think it was an actual pre war "Walmart" and that is to quote MaryAnn. 
I received the following correspondence in regard to this letter that she (MaryAnn)had obtained in her quest for family information that was written by John B Beall to his brother Augustus Chandler Beall in Texas in 1881. I am working on adding the first page of this letter but in the mean time, does anyone know who has the original letter and who was the Beall Development Co. in Watkinsville, GA. She calls me beallrose because that is the screen name that I use on the internet. Since I have read the letter in its entirety. I think that it could have been typed in the beginning as he was working at a newspaper office. This is very interesting to me as these 2 men were brothers of my great grandfather. Even if it has been revised, it is still important as it pertains to my family which makes me who I am today. Will continue to work on retrieving the first page of the letter but it is mostly about selling the property in Carroll County, GA and enclosing the graves and adding headstones to their graves at the BEALL Cemetery in Carrollton, GA. Have just received an e-mail from MaryAnn with the first page of the letter so everyone can see it in its entirety. Happy reading.
Rhonda Beall Hawkins



Bellarose:
I do not know who has the original letter which would have been handwritten I am sure.  Someone transcribed it at some point.  Since we have been corresponding, I have been going through all my Beall stuff and re-reading things I have obtained through the years.  I am even getting rid of some stuff that I have gotten off the internet since that can always be found again at a later date!   I can't figure out who sent me the copy of the letter.  I've been through one folder and there is mention of the letter in correspondence from both someone named Ed Beall and Jean Jones.  This correspondence was 15 years ago.  It looks to me like someone may have sent the copy of this letter to this Beall Development at some point and they stamped it in.  Then I wonder if this is this Jean Jones' address written at the bottom.   I am going to keep going through stuff and see what I find.  It would seem to me that a descendent of Augustus Chandler Beall would have the original letter.   Zip Codes came into being in 1963/64.  
I have a couple of pages of "In Barrack and Field" copied if you don't have that and would like for me to send. 
Have you ever noticed how many slaves Samuel Beall and Thomas Newton Beall had but no land did they have to speak of?   They hired out their slaves. 
MaryAnn


No comments:

Post a Comment