Wednesday, December 1, 2010

CHICKEN or TURKEY DRESSING

This is for you Katherine with some fond memories.
If you are from the south then you all know that dressing is made from cornbread. Even if it is leftover and long as it is still good. I dearly love dressing made from chicken, turkey, pork, and even squash. After I first married in 1962, I was staying with my sister-in-law while my husband was on the road. We decided that we wanted some dressing for dinner. At this time every phone call made between counties was long distance so we couldn't call for instructions. We followed our own intuition. So we started with the left over cornbread from the night before. I remembered that much. We knew that we needed some broth or stock and we had some chicken legs so we put them on to boil. We thought we better salt and pepper them while they cooked. After cooking and cooling, we removed the meat from the bones and added it to the crumbled cornbread. Mixing everything together and put in a casserole dish and into the oven it went. Well we found out right  quick that we didn't have dressing. No eggs, no onions, and no celery or any sage. just dry bread chicken flavored. We got a big kick out of it and asked the next door neighbor if she knew how to make a gravy to softened up our dressing. The next time I went to town, I checked out the library for the recipe of turkey dressing. I am better at dressing now and there is never any left in my pan. Here is my up-to-date version.

3 cups of stock  (chicken or turkey)
about 4 or 5 cups of crumbled cornbread
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tbsp sage
1 tsp poultry  seasoning
1 onion finely chopped
1 or 2 stalks of celery chopped
1 boiled egg chopped
small jar of pimento (optional for color)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup evaporated milk

sometimes I add the chicken meat to my dressing to serve as one dish.
Mix all ingredients well and pour into a greased casserole bowl. Mixture should be easy to pour or it will dry out while cooking. If not, add more stock or milk  Cook at 325 F for about 30 minutes. About the last 10 minutes of cooking, I sprinkle the top with paprika to present a good appearance. My children like this even when it is cold. Well maybe at room temperature.

1 comment: