Wednesday, December 15, 2010

THE SLIPPING SLIP

Well this is a story about me and how mistakes that happen are so funny. In April of 1958 on Easter Sunday, my 2 cousins and I had gone to Floyd Hospital after church to see our grandmother. She had fallen and broken her hip. We were dressed to the 9's. My outfit was a peach colored princess style dress with a crinoline attached at the waist. Now a crinoline is a very stiff lace and net petticoat that helps your dress stand out instead of hanging limp. The ones made separate from a dress were starched very stiff, so stiff that they could stand up by its self. This was the second year that I got to wear heels. They were little white pumps about an inch high with a hat and purse to match. There were white gloves to go with this outfit and a white carnation corsage. We always got a corsage because Aunt Josie and Uncle James owned the florist. After we had visited with Ma Jones, Paula and Diane and I decided to go out side and walk around the front of the hospital. We were just old enough to visit the sick because you had to be 12 years old and they were, I had turned 14 in February. This day was very windy and we didn't have a jacket. I had brought a sweater with me, but Paula and Diane didn't because their dresses had three-quarter length sleeves. We went to the restroom to primp and fluff up our hair. When you becaome a teenager, the first thing that you think about is your looks. I wanted to check and see if my slip was showing because it had started to come un sewed. I tucked it under the elastic of my half slip and we proceeded to go to the cafeteria and get a coke. After this we went outside to get some fresh air. Well my petticoat had slipped some more and dropped to my knees. I thought I would be smart and just slip it off and put it in my purse. I knew that I would have to wad it up very small so it would fit. As I proceeded to do this, a big gust of wind caught the petticoat and started blowing it across the lawn. I tried to catch it but with small hills, it was just to fast. It blew into the street and a car had to stop. I was so embarrassed that I ran inside the hospital and left Paula and Diane just standing there. They followed me inside and we looked out the window to see what the driver of the car would do with my petticoat. He just picked it up and shoved it in the trunk and drove off. We all started to laugh by then because when you think about it, I had a very funny situation with the slipping slip.

No comments:

Post a Comment