Saturday, December 18, 2010

RECIPE-DEVILED EGGS

I just remembered why I started writing this blog. One of my daughter's school friends called me and wanted a recipe. The conversation consisted of " Hey Rhonda, you know I called for a recipe don't you." The first cake she ever cooked came from me. She stated that she never cooked with her mom because mom was always running around. I didn't have many close friends when I was in school, not the everlasting friends that some people have. Acquaintances yes but no one really close. But when my children started bringing home their friends, they adopted me as a parent. I was a stay-at-home mom for many years. I babysat while other mothers worked or were absent from the home. So when they needed something, they called me. So this story ends with "Granny, I need to know how to make deviled eggs." I just laughed because I thought everyone knew how to make deviled eggs and she said "but I never made them before." Probably one of the first things that I made in the kitchen with my mom was deviled eggs. I was thrilled to crack and peel the eggs and cut them, put them in a egg plate and decorate. So lets start with some instructions. I took Home Economics in high school for two years and alot of the lessons stuck. But the lessons from my mom and Granny Ruby stayed longer because they made more sense.

Deviled eggs

Place 6 to 8 eggs in saucepan and cover with water. add 1/2 tsp salt to water*.
Bring to a rolling boil and lower heat just so the water continues to boil slowly.
Time for 5 minutes and remove from heat*. Let sit until cool enough to immerse your hand in the water. Crack and peel the shell from eggs. Slice once length-ways. Remove the yolks and place whites on an egg plate. Mash the yolks well and add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, a tsp of mustard and 3 to 4 tbsp mayonnaise. If you like pickles, you may add a tsp of dill or sweet pickle relish. Which ever you prefer. Mix well and place back in the whites. Sprinkle with paprika for color. Sometimes if I want to be fancy, I use a cake decorator to add the yolks back to the whites. Decoration may also be sliced olives especially for Christmas with the red and green effect.

*adding the salt to water helps remove the shells. This is a comment from Granny Ruby to me.
*If you boil the eggs any longer, the yolks have a tendency to turn green around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment