Tuesday, December 21, 2010

MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS-BEALL

NOBLE NEWNAN BEALL and ELIZA CAROLINE BROWN BEALL
This is an interesting story but very true. A person I will call J had posted a comment about my great grandparents on rootsweb.com on August 5, 2000. An interested party called P responded on July 16, 2000. Enter me in 2010 and found this comment about my family. I thought it was a long shot but I posted a message anyway on August 3, 2010. Much to my surprise, I had a response on October 21, 2010 saying yes she was married to my dad's first cousin and we began a correspondence that ended with my obtaining a picture of my great grandparents and acquiring an unknown relative. How strange is that to absorb. 10 years and we were so close. I am 66 years old and had never seen a picture of my great grandparents because they died before I was born. I have shared this picture with my family. It is amazing how much my dad favors his grandfather. His grandmother is a very striking woman. My aunt Vivian favors her alot. Since I have been told that I favor my aunt Vivian then I guess I look like her also. Would love to have known this phenomenal couple who raised such a wonderful family. He was the father of 14 children. Four by his first wife who died in childbirth and 10 by his second of which I have descended. He was a lawyer by trade and a farmer by necessity to feed the family. He also served as a state representative and a state senator from Paulding County, GA. He fought in the Civil War attaining the rank of Captain. A strange story has been told about a clever ruse he used to prevent being detected in the war. He wanted to visit his family while they were traveling thru GA and thought he would sneak thru the woods and come up to the back of the house. Upon arriving along the edge of the tree line, he spied some tents. Thinking that this was Union soldiers, he decided to wait until daybreak to verify his suspicions. After the sun came up, he was surprised to see that sheets were hanging on the clothesline instead of tents pitched in his back yard.
Most of his children attended college which was unknown for a family that large in the 1800's. His oldest son became a doctor and his third son became a teacher of music, choir director and a writer of gospel music. He led his brothers in this endeavor. They were all fine gentlemen who never drank or smoked but raised their families in the joys of church going and singing. Two of these men became preachers of the gospel and traveled over the states leading revivals in spiritual uplifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment