Saturday, December 11, 2010

PAUL ELLIS JONES

I don't know much about Paul Jones other than the stories that my mother told me and a few from my grandmother. He was born in 1916 which made him 4 years older than my mother. He was the second son that my grandmother lost as a young child. He died from complications of a tonsillectomy. My grandad never wanted to use doctors after that episode. I guess that is why Grandma called her older son, "her precious Clifford."  She said that he (Paul) loved to draw and draw he did. Using old pieces of chared wood from the fire, he sketched any thing he saw. He could go in the woods and return to draw a scene from memory. Sometimes he used coal. On trips to town with his dad, he could draw store buildings and never go inside. He just used his imagination. My mom use to try to copy some of the things that he did but hers were never as good or so she said. My grandmother told me about his love for marbles. And she kept his marbles for many years except for the ones on his tombstone. They had them placed there after his death. I think over time or vandalism, all the marbles were lost in that area. There is an inscription on the tombstone-"Budded on earth to bloom in Heaven." I am sure he greeted each family member when they joined him.

No comments:

Post a Comment