Friday, October 15, 2010

Aunt Aline

                               




                                             The Jones Children- Aunt Aline 
                                
        To begin the story about my Aunt Aline. I never found a middle name for so I don't guess she had one. I starting when she was born on Oct. 24, 1908 .The daughter of Lay and Nannie Jones. She was the next oldest child of eleven. The first child died at age one. I don’t know much about her youth. There is a story in a book about her uncle, Joe Kennedy, but I lost the book in a fire. I located a copy in the library of Cartersville, GA, but it was in the specialty part and could not be checked out.   I just know about when I visited her when I was small. I was about 5 years old and I would sit in her daughter-in-law’s lap. I always wanted to spend the night at her house. I would sleep between Ovaline and Joanne, her 2 daughters, and when I would get up in the morning; there would be a hole where I crawled out of the covers.
        When I got older, we would go to her house to pick blackberries. We always had to watch for snakes and aunt Aline would carry a hoe with us. She would grease around my wrists and ankles to ward off chiggers.  There was also a peach orchard located close to her house and since Mama loved peaches and we would go there and pick straight off the trees. I would usually eat more than I picked.
        The main thing I remember about her is her cow. Now this cow didn’t like me and I was afraid of all the farm animals. Well, aunt Aline sent me to the barn to gather some eggs to make a cake. I didn’t want to go in the barn but I went any way. After I gathered the eggs, I started out the door and there stood the cow. I ran back in the barn and climbed the stairs to the loft. Would you believe that cow stepped on the bottom step and I thought she was coming after me? I ran to the window and started calling for aunt Aline to come get me. She laughed all the way to the barn. She sued the cow and I never went to the barn again in any trips to her house.
        Aunt Aline had a wood stove and she would never use anything but plain flour. Made the best biscuits I ever tasted next to Ma Jones. Her husband, Luke Greeson, who was a farmer, loved corn bread and clabbered milk for supper. But her fresh green beans were wonderful, cooked with new potatoes and served with fresh sliced tomatoes and green onions. Once when I went to her house, Joanne made pineapple upside down cake. I don’t think I ever had any as well as hers.
        She lost her husband in 1965 and never remarried. She raised four children-R M, Ovaline, Joanne, and Mitchell. R M is the oldest grandchild. I remember when I had my third son, she came to the hospital and sat with me because my husband was a truck driver and got snow bound in a freak snow storm in Washington State. My mom had died when I was 15 so aunt Aline came to the rescue. Later after she died I found myself living less than a mile from the house that I use to visit. I ride by the area sometimes and reminisce

3 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I am one of Aline’s great granddaughters, granddaughter to Ovaline, daughter of Paula. Thank you for sharing this! We love to hear stories about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell quite a few stories about her and Ovaline and Jerry. I can remember spending the night with them when they lived in Rome. They were only 2 blocks from Whiteheads Florist. I loved Jerry. He was a hoot. Glad you enjoyed the story.
      I am the daughter of Aline’s sister, Florence. He was killed when I was 15 so I gained 5 mother’s in the process. Aline, Josephine, Sybil, Totsie and Doris.
      Rhonda

      Delete