Friday, October 15, 2010

The Love of Family History part 4 uncle Aubrey


I will start this chapter with uncle Aubrey. He had a bought a house in Decatur and married Verbie Sills. Her mother lived next door. I thought she was lucky to have her granny live so close. Aubrey worked at home in a little shop out back. He did furniture upholstery and was very good at it. Dad went to see him often and we would stay all week-end. I remember his house because I thought it was so pretty. When you first went in the front door, their was a couch to the right and just past it by the wall was the piano. I think we all took piano lessons. All the granddaughters. Aunt Lillian and aunt Vivian both taught piano. Aunt Lillian taught me my first gospel song. "There is a Fountain." They had a fire place that they used mostly at Christmas. One Christmas we were there and Janet got a dollhouse that her dad had made. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had every seen. He had even made the furniture. We played for hours. Another time we were there, Larry, my brother had to have stitches. He fell on the front steps and cut his head on some glass. Back in the 50's, milk men delivered milk to your front door in milk bottles and I think this is where the glass came from. Janet graduated from high school and went on to college. She started to Georgia Baptist to be a nurse. I thought this was a great honor because alot of people didn't finish school much less go on to college. Then she married and I didn't get to see her much anymore.
Uncle Aubrey was an avid reader. He would read anything. Newspapers, magazines, books you name it, he would read it. I knew he always had a stack of books by his recliner in the living room and a floor lamp to read by. This is my best memory of him and oh yes, he was the Archie Bunker in my family. He was very opinionated and would speak his mind. And he loved to argue. He always thought he knew more than anyone and was quick to tell you about it. My dad and Aubrey would argue for hours about anything and it wasn't even important. When his wife died, he went to live with his daughter and spent time with his grandchildren. Sometimes, he would come up to Rome ad spend the week-end with dad. He always wanted to sleep in the recliner and watch TV just abut all night. And he would argue with the TV. I thought it was funny. I will get old one day and it won't be so funny anymore. He died at the age of 92 in 1997. I still remember watching him work crossword puzzles and reading his westerns. He loved Zane Grey.
continued

No comments:

Post a Comment