Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Love of Family History part 6-Uncle Lowell


     Well its me again with another version of the family via Lowell Eugene Beall Sr. Uncle Lowell was the second son born to Guy and Imogean Beall. He was born in Paulding county along with the rest of the children. He didn't move to Atlanta until his mother died. When they moved in with his sister, Gordie Mae, he met an interesting lady who lived up the street. Miss Thelma Estell Hanie. Her father was the pastor of Cary Park Baptist Church, preaching until his death and then his son took over. Their house had a big screened-in porch that I loved. Many times, you would catch me asleep on that porch when I was staying with Aunt Thelma. When they fell in love and were married, World War II happened. After that, they moved to Miami, Florida and he worked for the Miami Herald. Lowell had 3 children. 2 boys and a girl who my dad said that I favored. Her name was Joan. I don't know what happened to her. She died when she was young.
     My dad, mom and my 2 brothers along with me made a trip to Miami when I was 12 years old. We drove all the way mostly down highway 27 to get to Uncle Lowell's house. We went to Miami Beach and played in the ocean. Eugene and Jerry, our cousins, went with us.  I think Uncle Lowell had to work and Aunt Thelma stayed at home because the repairman was coming that day.  My youngest brother, Kenneth, buried my pocketbook in the sand and we never found it. I had my glasses in it and when we got back, I had to go to the doctor for another pair. While we were in Miami we went to a zoo. I saw the largest snake that I had ever seen in my life. It had swallowed a pig whole. I was ready to leave but the monkeys were funny so we stayed a while longer. There was a turtle who the zoo keeper stated was 100 years old. They would let you take a ride on its back but I was scared and stayed back. Larry took a ride and said it was fun. We stayed 2 weeks and then started for home. I think I slept most of the way back to Rome, Georgia. But I always remembered my first trip to Florida and Aunt Thelma cooking Red Snapper in the oven. It was delicious. Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment