Thursday, November 18, 2010

CITY CLOCK TOWER-poetry






I lived across the street from the city clock for 18 years and it became my friend. It was a place to run and hide. Swings were beneath it with see-saws, monkey bars-just places to have fun. When I saw the clock, I knew that I was home. I wrote this poem in 1992 right after my house burned in Calhoun, GA. Even though I had been gone for 30 years, it was still a comfort to me.

He stands alone in the center of town
while three large rivers flow all around.
Almost forgotten, except for a few-
remembering the chimes-school day was through.

I remember a little girl being afraid
of shadows that the clock tower made
plus a lonely school with creaks and moans;
perhaps a closet filled with bones.

Six hills surround the old clock tower
with fertile glens and lovely bowers.
But he stands alone through many years-
his head in the clouds to hide the tears.

'Neath the hustle and bustle of everyday life
no one notices his toil and strife.
So listen with your heart-he chimes every hour
this work of art called City Clock Tower.




Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of the clock and Neely school. My pictures could never be replaced so these are a big help to me. I attended Neely school in the 6th and 7th grades, 1955-1856 and 1856-1957.

No comments:

Post a Comment