Saturday, November 27, 2010

HOMEMADE BANANA PUDDING

     Someone asked me today how to make homemade banana pudding. Well I always followed the recipe on the Nilla Vanilla Wafer box. When I got home, I could not find it so I had to go to my cook books and find another version. I will put both versions here. I don't care for the version made with vanilla pudding and that is served in most restaurants so maybe some of today's girls will try this. My mother always make hers in an iron skillet but mine always scorched. This pudding is excellent in trifles using angle food cake and any kind of fruit. The whipped cream is good in trifles instead of meringue.

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 flour
4 cups milk
3 eggs  separated -lightly beat the egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
about 75 vanilla wafers
6 medium firm-ripe bananas

Combine the sugar, flour, and egg yolks in the top of a double boiler on boiling water. Don't let the water touch the boiler or boil too rapidly. Add the milk and whisk together until mixture is thick and smooth. Add the vanilla. Lightly skim the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with the pudding. Cover with vanilla wafers and then sliced bananas. Cover with more pudding, a layer of wafers and a layer of bananas until all the pudding is used ending with the pudding.  For the topping, beat the egg whites with a dash of salt until it begins to form peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating, forming stiff peaks. Smooth over the top of pudding and lightly toast until golden brown.
If you don't have a double boiler, use a " Pyrex" bowl on the boiling water. Some people top with whipped cream but I prefer the meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment