Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Love of Family History part 7 Uncle Kerwin


Continuation of family history
   To begin my story in this chapter is my memories of Kerwin Beall. He was next to my dad in age. He was married in Atlanta to Helen Delay and they had 3 children. Roy, Patricia, and Lawrence called Larry. I don’t remember them as they were older than me and the oldest, Roy, was killed. A car hit him while he was playing and he died instantly. Their marriage was on rocky ground at this time and disintegrated after his death. Uncle Kerwin had to leave Atlanta after that to stay out of jail. I don’t know if she was vindictive or just didn’t like him. I never could understand how a woman could keep a dad away from his children. Good or bad, he is still their father and nothing can change it. These are stories my dad told me. He felt guilty about the child’s death and his former wife hated him and refused him visits with the other 2 children. He moved to Rome for a while and found a job. I remember going to the post office to mail checks to her for child support. Dad said, “Remember to put it in the out going mail.” He moved again but I don’t remember where. I think it was Florida because that is where he letters came from. He said that Uncle Lowell was mailing the checks for him now from Miami.
   I had just started taking piano lessons from Eleanor Webb. Dad knew her family in Atlanta before she married. When her husband died, she moved to Rome to get away from all the memories. Uncle Kerwin came to visit and the next thing I knew, he had up and married Mrs. Webb and took her to Florida. I lost my teacher. The piano didn’t hold much interest for me after she left.
   We visited them on our trip to Florida when I was about 11. They lived in Orlando. There were fruit trees in their yard with delicious fruit. I never did know the name of them. I think it was mangos. The grass was so soft but I got a lot of sand in my shoes.
   Years later, Uncle Kerwin wrote to my dad and wanted him to visit his son, Lawrence, who lived close to Atlanta. I think it was Powder Springs. He looked just like my cousin, Charles McDaniel. He still didn’t want anything to do with his dad. The whole Beall family for that matter. He had even changed his last name to his step-dad but I don’t remember it. I thought that was sad because his heritage is prestigious. We descend from prosperous people. Lawyers, doctors, politicians, and even an earl in Scotland. I hope one day his children will want to know his ancestors and read this short story.

2 comments:

  1. ~
    Hi Rhonda,
    I just came across your blog and thought I would respond.
    My name is James Beall and I was born in Atlanta in 1942.
    My father was Robert M. Beall (he originally spelled it Beale as his father and grandfather had done, due to my grandfather's mother having died when he was an infant and he was raised by a nearby Beale family and had started spelling it that way as a child.)
    My father was born in Atlanta in 1917.
    My grandfather was Robert H. Beale, born in Misouri.
    My Great Grandfather was Daniel W. Beale, a Minister, born in Cumberland, Maryland.
    GG GrandFather was Gustavus Beall, Jr b. Cumberland, Maryland.
    3GFather was Gustavus Beall, Sr. b. Cumberland, Maryland.
    4GFather was Thomas B. Beall, Cumberland
    5GFather was Richard Beall, Cumberland
    6GFather was Judge Samuel Beall. He was the Judge of Cumberland and he also founded the City of Cumberland, Maryland.
    7GFather was John Beall b. Washington, DC
    8GFather was Alexander Beall, Immigrant from Scotland.
    I believe that Alexander Beall was the nephew of Ninian Beall. The direct connection is back in Scotland, but I don't know exactly what it is.
    So we are likely somewhere around 10th or 11th cousins.

    Pleased to meet you Cousin.

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out that Ninian Beall had a brother by the name of Alexander Bell. There father was Dr. James Bell of Scotland. The "a" was added to the name after Ninian's arrest and exile from Scotland after the battle of Dumbarton during Cromwell's War. This was added as a slur on the family name. I just thought it made it a little more discinct. Little did we know just how far it would go.
    Rhonda Beall Hawkins

    ReplyDelete