Friday, November 19, 2010

REAL RUM BALLS

I like this story because it is true. I worked at Springs Industries for 25 years. It started out as Regent Mills and then changed hands. This is in Calhoun, GA. I worked in the dye house stacking rugs and then moved to dye weigher and kept it up for 17 years. I had a friend who worked on first shift named Irene Colfax. She made alot of Christmas candy and one recipe was for was rum balls. I talked her into giving me the recipe. Well, I had never done any cooking with rum or any other kind of alcohol so when the recipe called for rum, that is what I used. My first husband was a drinker and it just so happened that he had some 151 Rum for mixed drinks and I sneaked out 1/2 cup for the candy. I mixed everything up and put it in a tin Christmas box for the flavors to meld until the Chrismas party at work. When I opened the box to sample one, the fumes almost knocked me down. Since it was a party, we just ate them anyway. We all were a little tipsy by the time the party was over. I never made them again for a Christmas party. Needless to say, I  don't use 151 rum anymore for Christmas cooking. I found a cooking rum to use and then I found rum flavoring for the kids.

RUM BALLS

5 cups of vanilla wafer crumbs or graham cracker crumbs
1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup confection sugar
1/2 cup of rum or brandy*
1/4 cup of Karo syrup
2 Tbs. cocoa

Combine all ingredients and mix well with your hands. Shape into  balls and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
Roll in confection sugar and store in a Christmas tin for about a week and serve. I make them the day after Thanksgiving and let them sit until Christmas.

I mix 1 tsp. rum flavoring in 1/2 cup of warm water instead of the rum for the kids.

1 comment:

  1. I lost this friend yesterday. She will always remain in my heart. She gave me support when I needed a friend to stand with me. Vegetables from her garden sustained not only my body but my soul for the time and care she put into them. Rest in peace Irene and know that you are loved.

    ReplyDelete